Students in Higher Education

1. How do I get support to use your service?

Home students are able to apply for Disability Student Allowance (DSA) once they provide medical evidence of a health difficulty.

See the link www.direct.gov/disability student allowance

If you are an International and UK ERASMUS student funding may be available from your fee payer or your university  see link: http://www.thelinknetwork.eu/index.php/component/content/article/9-no-menu-articles/19

Evidence of managing a mental health difficulty which impacts on day-to-day activities is required.

2. What services can Hunkins cHoice offer me?

Hunkins cHoice offers a range of support for individuals no matter what their status.

One-to-one mentoring which means meeting your mentor in person, via Skype or over the telephone.

Peer group focused mentoring. These are small groups of students with similar issues (4-6). The purpose is to provide a practical arena for students to work out positive ways for managing acute stressful settings required by university courses. e.g. interviews, presentations skills, group working. The group is also aimed at assisting students to support one another in looking at individual issues such as exam techniques, managing meeting with tutors, placement issues, along side managing the mental health difficulty and its impact on these situations and visa versa.

Individuals managing mental health difficulties

1. Do I need to disclose?

Disclosure of a know mental health difficulty is not a requirement by law. However, it does offer the advantage of preparing fully for work and getting the correct support as and when required.

Mental ill health falls within the unique catergory of a hidden and variable disability. This is not often fully understood by organisations, early disclosure aids this as you are able to advise the organisation as to the nature and degree of your difficulty and any anticipated issues it may raise for work.

Disclosure also helps you to advise the orgnisation of your individual strengths in how you manage your difficulty and your current plan of action for any crisis or ill health episode.

2. What sort of difficulties are classed as eligible?

Mental ill health has a very wide brief, mental ill health is also often linked to other health issues such as physical disabilities and chronic disabilities like MS, Thyroid difficulties, being deaf or blind.


Anxiety, depression( in all its forms), bi-polar disorder, schizophrenia, Chronic Fatigue.

The basic criteria is:

  • Impacts on daily life
  • Is enduring e.g. lasted more than 6months (this includes an episode one month and then nothing for 5 months then another episode)
  • Has been diagnosed by a health professional

3. How do I get support to use your service?

Access to Work can offer financial support to individuals who are employed or self employed and managing mental health difficutles.

You do not have to disclose to your employer but contact Access to Work in your area to make a request for the support you feel you would like and who from, (you can choose)


Some employees can access funding support from their employers through their occupational health department e.g. counselling.

Some individuals pay direct.

Contact us if you require assistance with this, its free advice!


1. What is your complaints policy?

You can download a copy of our Complaints Policy below;

2. How can I make a complaint?

You can download our Formal Complaints Form below. Please complete the form and email it back to admin@hunkinschoice.org.


1. Do you have a cancellation policy?

Yes, you can download a copy of our Cancellation Policy below;


1. Where can I download a consent form?

You can download a copy of our Consent Form below;


1. Do you have any more information for students that I can read?

Of course! Please download our Information for Students PDF below;

1. Do you have a form for students to complete?

Yes, you can download our Hunkins cHoice Mentoring Service Student Details Form below;